Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Kuku/ Webuye Falls/ Rescue Dada

Kukus
Ok so this pic is of me holding the first two kukus (swahili for chickens) that we had as pets. I know it looks like I am holding a mutated two-headed kuku, but there are definitely two kukus there, they are just tied together. The one on the right was named Henjamin Franklin, and the one on the left was named Punky Rooster.
Unfortunately, we no longer have either kuku. Henjamin died a horrible death with an intestinal infection, at least that's what Maurice told us she had. Everyone took this pretty hard, but especially Punky. He was lonely without his lady friend. A few days after the funeral, Punky mysteriously vanished, and by "vanished" I mean "became dinner for the neighbors who live behind us." (seriously, our neighbors stole him and ate him).



Webuye Falls
Arielle came down to Malava with her sister and cousin, who were visiting from the states. She wanted to show them where we work, and also the beauty of western province. Webuye is a tiny village about 15 kilometers north of Malava, and supposedly there is a spot where they have great waterfalls. We found them after a forty minute walk from the bus stop




This shot is great. Rain season in western province is crazy. Rain can literally be pouring on your right shoulder, while the left side of your face is getting roasted by the hot sun


Me and Ar


Rescue Dada
The ST. Julie Center was closed for two weeks so the head therapists could go on home visits, so I decided to head to Nairobi. I had the pleasure of visiting Sandy and Arielle where they work. It is called Rescue Dada and is a center that helps girls from the streets/slums. Fortunately for me, I visited on field day, so I thought I was going to be able to show the youngins some of my football skills. I was way off.


Here I am being very upset because it was totally my turn to punt the ball and that selfish little brat stole it from me


This is me completely lacking in ball-handling skills and using the strong-arm technique on a 13 year-old girl to cheat my way to victory




The shot is was taken literally one second before I fell over and started crying. (side note:did anyone notice the girl in the background doing the Monty Python high step?)


Sandy getting a piggy-back ride





Arielle and one of her babies

Coolest girls ever


Rescue Dada
Here I am struggling to pick up a 40-pound girl

For this shot, Arielle told me to pick one of the girls up, but this time don't make a stupid face. I wasn't listening

3 comments:

LrKel said...

Hey RY!!

Those kids are so sweet. Glad to see the girls got a job that they really enjoy!!

Good Luck on your move this week! I know everything will workout for you.

I can't wait to hear about your trip to UgAAAAnda.

I Love you and Miss you SOOO MUCH!!

LrKel said...

I die laughing everytime I read your blog.. U so funny Ry!

Glad that it took me 4 months to learn how to post on this bad boy and now I can't stop!

Am I allowed to curse on this thing?

Unknown said...

Ryan, I love your blog. It's awesome and funny, like you! Hope you're doing OK in Malava. We had such a good time with you in March.
You're past the half-way mark now. The 2nd half is the best.